Friday, February 20, 2009

02 20 09 Before you Click Submit

Read Before you click Submit...First things first, I like to proceed ahead at times and bring the instructions along the way for the wild ride. However, that may not the best online approach as with everything is rapidly changing on a continuous basis.

Inquiry:
Today, I received a request from a stranger from a name and face I do not remember, (note the photo with the profile was of an attractive person) instead of immediately clicking ,the confirm or ignore button I decided to go the extra mile; as that is my nature.

While preparing to send the below listed: You recently sent me a friend request; as I would like to honor such a request please be so kind as to remind me how it is that we know each other?

You do know that (unnamed friend network site) is a sort of friendly environment and once one gains access to a my page, then you have access to the entire list and I try and protect the privacy of those who have entrusted their FB pages to me. Your name doesn’t seem recently familiar to me.

However, I do like the Staples look, it is a first "quite creative". Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thank you for the request and have a wonderful day!

Problem:
I was merely trying to confirm if this person had the wrong “ME” or indeed we did know each other. I noticed in plain view next to the Submit button was the following: If you send NAME a message, you will give him permission to view your list of friends, as well as your Basic, Work and Education info for one month.

It pays to read the small print in one month’s time I could either:
-Get reacquainted with a old friend
-Potentially meet a new one via an old friend
-Open my page to a real online stalker and invite them into your friends
-Open my page to an intrusive potential employer who wishes to know how my friends and myself really live act and play

Guard your online communications, all of you should be cautious with whom you invite into your life?
-Ask yourself would you invite A STRANGER into your home?
-Would you invite A STRANGER who sends an attractive photo? Is there a difference?
-Would you invite A STRANGER who sends an unattractive photo? Is there a difference?
-Do you automatically confirm A STRANGER just because a few of your friends did?
-A Stranger is just that….A STRANGER-Give yourself permission to click the ignore button
-Don’t send a message asking them how do you know me (that’s naïve…as I almost did that one)
-Hindsight the person could be legitimate, if that is the case they will contact you on your email that they should already have.

Solution:
Go through your friends list and if you truly do not know an individual that you are now friends with and you met them on your (online network) page allow yourself to delete that profile and make a mental note not to confirm that person again. To do so allows them access to you and all your friends and their friends and their friends and so on!

1 comment:

  1. Very good points. I shared this with my young adult children who utilize these friend network sites regularly. It's frightening how much personal information is available to possible "do no good" persons. NF

    ReplyDelete